Welcome technophobes, grease monkies, and motorheads

Welcome to a new'ish' site written by and with the imput from people who,s brains are so full of;
Technical abillity, Insane ideas, and the love of wierd and wonderfull shit, that there is no time in their over stressed brains for "CRAP" like spelling and punktuation.

Sunday 3 March 2013

SHOVELPOWER

Clays text as he sent it to me..  Its not as tricked out as a lot of the bikes on your blog but in my defense, I don't have access to a machine shop and paying full price is out of the question most of the time. So my fab work is with basic tools and pretty crude by any machinists standards.My shed is a one car garage and space is very limited. all the parts I put on it were used stuff i scrounged somewhere along the way. I never throw away a harley part no matter how bad its damaged.
   It is an 80 cu,in.stock motor with a 'B' grind cam. 4 speed tranny,kick and electric start an a squeamish beagle carb. I cut the front fender from a stock FLH one, the rear is an aluminum spare tire cover from an 80's chevy van. I cut it with a hacksaw and filed the corners by hand. It has a belt final drive with an early evo style wet clutch setup (and a skateboard wheel belt tensioner) Actually the skate wheel is just there to keep the top of the belt from rubbing on the inner primary (not the right one for a belt but it worked out). I got the bike in trade for a 1971 ford f-100 pickup truck. the bike had been sitting not running for a few years when i got it. It was in ratty condition. Some elbow grease and polish went a long way in making it look good along with some rattle cans of flat black paint.I decided to do a low budget rework cause you can't give a shovelhead away over here,yuppies are scared of them and wont buy them cause they think they are junk. Plus, I'm a cheap fucker!! Low budget was key to getting my money back on it.
   
Hope your keeping a firm grip,and remember,,rubber side down! Clay
Clay from Indiana sent me this pic' of his old, cool . He was slightly appologetic for the fact that it's not full of 'machine shop quality' parts.
I love bikes that are built in sheds with minnimum tools. I also love bikes built in machine shops. but i really appreciate bikes that are formed from blood sweat and angle grinders.
So can If you could send me pictures of your builds that would be great.
Email robgecko2001@yahoo.co.uk
Cheers. Mr Oily

No comments: